Investing in Our People
The performance of our teams is the key to the quality of
service that we are able to provide. To compete at the highest level we
recruit, train, develop, and retain the best available talent.
We strive to utilise the full talents of our people and
ensure that they work as a team to deliver the best possible service for our
Employee Recruitment and Retention
The quality of the team throughout GRAHAM is key to the
future success of our business. Extensive efforts are made in recruiting
employees with exceptional talent, experience, loyalty and commitment to our
values. Since 2010 the GRAHAM team has grown by over 47% while retaining a
voluntary employee turnover figure of 6.9% (the National Mean Voluntary
Resignation Rate in 2012 was 10.6%).
With formal links with twelve universities over the last three
years GRAHAM has recruited 95 graduates from a wide variety of disciplines.
After a formal induction process all graduates are offered the opportunity to
participate in a graduate development programme and work towards formal
Working in close partnership with a number of our public
sector clients we currently have 37 apprentices undergoing training across a
spectrum of trades spread across all our operating companies. An additional 60
apprentices are employed by our various supply chain partners.
In today’s challenging trading environment it is vital that
all employees clearly understand the Company’s business objectives and how they
can play their part in achieving these. Central to this is the Group Employee
With rapid growth over the last few years, the feedback from
our Employee Engagement Survey conducted across the Group is vital in
determining where we need to focus our attentions, in order to further engage
all our employees as we build our business for the future. Our latest Employee
Engagement Survey was carried out in March 2013 when we had a response rate of
75.4% across the Group. Compared to the previous Survey conducted in 2011, our
Engagement Index increased by approximately 5% as measured against the
internationally recognised Engagement Index Hewitt Europe Norm (2007) placing
us in the “Average Large Employer Zone.”
In 2013 we became
the first large UK Contractor to achieve the CITB Be Fair Equality Framework
Level 2 standard. The framework
accreditation, awarded by CITB to achieving companies, helps employers discover
the business and commercial benefit of fully understanding, embracing and
harnessing the diversity of the workforce, their customers and the culturally
diverse environment in which they work.
Personal and Professional Development
On-going personal and professional development is important to ensure we all keep at the top of our game. Strenuous efforts are made to ensure that the personal and professional development of all employees is focused, specific and relevant to each operating company, to ensure the economic sustainability of our business.
As a recognised Investor in People for over 15 years, and now at Bronze Standard within the Group, we have an annual spend of over £500,000 on training, providing on average three training days per employee.
In the last three years
- 30% of managers completed a formal nationally recognised management qualification
- 80% of employees are now at QCF (Qualifications and Credit Framework) Level 2 or above
- 50% of employees have reached QCF Level 5 or above (degree level)
- 42 employees have achieved Professional Qualifications becoming full members of a range of organisations including CIOB, ICE and RICS
At GRAHAM we employ over 1,500 people at many locations throughout the UK and Ireland. Each individual is expected to act as an ambassador for the Company and at company and business unit briefings we make sure that all employees clearly understand the Group's values, expectations and standards of behaviour expected by the Company;
- working collaboratively together, sharing knowledge and experiences to deliver the best solutions
- being professional and adopting best practice to meet clients' highest expectations while achieving the highest possible standings in terms of quality, health, safety and sustainability
- listening and sharing; building trust and acting with integrity; treating others with respect and working with transparency
- encouraging our team to be inventive and continually adapting and introducing fresh approaches to all aspects of our business; striving to be the best
- encouraging, supporting and understanding others - their ideas, their views and their knowledge