Multiple GRAHAM projects have been shortlisted as finalists in a range of Construction Employers Federation (CEF) Construction Excellence Awards categories.
The CEF Awards are described as the “most instantly recognised, respected and hotly contested” awards in the Northern Ireland construction industry. The aim of the competition is to “promote excellence” and to recognise companies who are achieving the “highest standards” of construction.
There are 23 Awards, with an additional two Judges’ Special Awards.
Against stiff competition, GRAHAM are in contention in the following categories:
- Fit-Out Award - Erskine House and Eagle Star House: Erskine House is a prime 130,000 sq. ft glass clad office development, and the plush new regional home of HMRC. Our interior fit-out team picked up the baton from our building team in June 2019 and created a forward-thinking, adaptable internal workspace that is “setting a marker” across both private and public offices. Meanwhile, Eagle Star House is the “first truly design-led flexible workspace” in Northern Ireland to achieve the coveted Platinum Wired Certification from WiredScore. Following our appointment by investor and developer, Magell Limited, we completed a major transformation project that has converted the iconic Belfast city centre building into an “unrivalled” space that is more akin “to a boutique hotel than an office”.
- Healthcare Award – Ulster Hospital Acute Services Block (ASB): The “transformational” Ulster Hospital ASB has raised the bar for healthcare design and construction in Northern Ireland. Featuring the highest building and infection controls, it is the first hospital in Europe with the capacity to care for individual patients in complete isolation in every room (100% single rooms, totalling 167), and follows on from the award winning General Ward Block at the Ulster Hospital in 2017.
- Transport and Utilities Infrastructure Award – A6: The A6 Randalstown – Castledawson Dualling Scheme is a complex infrastructure project that will improve safety, and reduce journey times and congestion for 22,000 vpd on the “strategically important” North-West transport corridor (connecting Belfast and Derry/Londonderry). After breaking ground in summer 2017, we overcame multiple engineering challenges over a four-year term and successfully managed the scheme through strategic weekend closures to maximise safety and productivity.
- Social/Community Construction Award (projects above £1m) – A6: The A6 has also been nominated for the Social/Community Construction Award. Notably, 113 employment opportunities were created for apprentices, work experience, education leavers and those furthest removed from the jobs market, and 895 visitors from educational institutions were received on site.
- Environmental Sustainability Award: In being shortlisted for this category, we have demonstrated our commitment to environmental sustainability, adopting measures to minimise and reuse waste, protecting our surrounding environment and its biodiversity and effectively operating an environmental management system to name but a few.
GRAHAM Executive Chairman, Michael Graham, believes the variety and depth of the work shortlisted for the prestigious accolades demonstrates the breadth of technical “excellence” across the business. He said:
“The CEF Awards provide the perfect opportunity to showcase the best of the construction industry in Northern Ireland. We have a long-running, proud record of success at the Awards, and this year’s shortlisted projects are further proof of the high standards of construction excellence that GRAHAM teams deliver on a consistent basis. The Awards are highly competitive, so I would like to commend all of the shortlisted candidates and wish them well for the next stage of the competition.”
The next stage of the process is a 45-minute site visit to each individual project by the CEF judges who are drawn from a wide field to “ensure the credibility of the Awards”.
Due to the ongoing pandemic, the winners will be announced during a virtual event, which will be streamed live on the evening of 7 October 2021.
For more information please visit: CEF Construction Excellence Awards