About the project
GRAHAM is a privately owned company with an impressive history built on integrity and responsibility. We have been working in partnership with Cheshire East Council to provide a new 5.5 kilometre (approx) bypass for Congleton.
The Congleton Link Road will join the A534 Sandbach Road (to the west of Congleton) with the A536 Macclesfield Road (to the north of the town), reducing town centre traffic congestion, cutting pollution, and improving air quality in the surrounding areas.
The scheme will bring economic and social regeneration to Congleton by supporting new development sites and improving access to jobs at Radnor Park Industrial Estate and Congleton Business Park. Planning started in 2012, and the 5.5km route will open for the public to walk and cycle along from 5pm on Friday 16 April, before opening to motorised vehicles on Monday 19 April.
- 9 November - Project update (News Release)
- 14 September - Project update (News Release)
- 11 September - Council leaders site visit (News Release)
- 5 August - Sheet Piling Notification (Letter)
- 18 May - Ground Improvement Work (Letter)
- 30 March - Donation of face masks to NHS charity (Facebook)
- 23 March - Notice of extension to road closures (Letter)
- 24 January - Notice of Giantswood Lane closure (Letter)
- 24 January - Giantswood Lane – Motorists Diversion (Map)
- 24 January - Giantswood Lane – Non-Motorists Diversion (Map)
- 17 December - Project milestone - bridge beam lift (News Release)
- 12 November - Bridge beam notification (Letter)
- 30 May - Chelford Road, notice of intention to start work (Letter)
- 15 May - Sandy Lane, notice of intention to start work (Letter & Map)
- 28 February - Ceremonial sod cutting (News Release)
- 21 January - Parish Council meeting, project overview (Presentation)
- 10 January - New Year brings start of new road scheme (News Release)
Back Firs Lane, Somerford
We will be imposing a closure of Black Firs Lane to enable the construction of the new footpath and undertake the next phase of the Black Firs Lane and Chelford Road junction improvement works.
The route will be open to non-motorists.
Start Date – 26 April 2021
Planned Completion – 1 May 2021
Chelford Road, Somerford
We will be imposing a full closure of Chelford Road to enable the final construction of the new Black Firs Lane and Chelford Road junction, including the final surfacing and white lining works.
The closure will apply to non-motorists.
Start Date – 5 May 2021
Planned Completion – 12 May 2021
Back Lane (West), Somerford
Back Lane (West) will not open to motorists on Monday 19th April. The continued closure will enable the completion of the Chelford Road and Black Firs Lane junction.
The route will be opened to non-motorists on Friday 16th April.
Start Date – 19 April 2021
Planned Completion – Late May 2021
TEMPORARY TRAFFIC LIGHTS
Chelford Road, Somerford
There will be temporary 3-way traffic lights in place 24 hours a day to enable the construction of the new footpath connection and kerb installation.
Start Date – 24 April 2021
Planned Completion – 27 April 2021
- Ground Investigation works - commence October 2018
- Detailed Design - commence October 2018
- Utility Diversions - commence January 2019
- Ecological Management works commence - January 2019
- Site Compounds established - March 2019
- Main Earthworks works commence - March 2019
- Works commence on the projects 4 major structures - March 2019
- Back Lane East, Somerford, complete - August 2019
- River Dane bridge beams lifted into place - December 2019
- Earthworks, drainage, road foundation works and surfacing - March 2019 to Spring 2021
- Full Scheme complete - April 2021
Here to help
GRAHAM is a Partner Member of the Considerate Constructors Scheme. This scheme aims to improve the image of the construction industry by following a Code of Considerate Practice, which covers a number of things including site safety and considering the impact of works on the local community. You can find more information about it online www.ccscheme.org.uk
Our site team is always on hand to help. Feel free to make contact at any time should you have any questions or concerns, or if you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us directly:
Stakeholder & Communications Officer