Marking the “start of a new era” for Leeds Building Society (LBS), we completed the £10m strip out and refurbishment of its new headquarters in Leeds city centre. The “significant investment” has facilitated the Society’s expansion and has brought together more than 800 Society employees who were previously spread across three different locations. A key feature of our 11,000 sq m modernisation programme over five floors was the replacement of the building’s façade to improve thermal and lighting performance while ensuring LBS’s power needs are met solely from renewables. Demonstrating our commitment to the local supply chain, over 60% of the project workforce came from a 30-mile radius of the site.
A signature project for our Leeds based delivery team, the new LBS headquarters has placed the Society “right at the heart” of the city where it was founded in 1875. Conceived to “further improve efficiency” and help cut the “operating costs” of the business, the refurbishment is a “significant investment in the future”. Our CAT A and CAT B fit-out programme included internal soft demolitions, hard demolitions and structural works, as well as external façade works. Reflecting LBS’s energy efficient design strategy, we replaced the existing façade with glass, which has significantly increased the amount of natural daylight flowing into the building.
This approach has also minimised the volume of artificial lighting required when operational. Equally, the installation of energy saving cladding ensures heat is retained in winter and reduces the amount of cooling required in the hotter summer months. Furthermore, all of the fossil fuel heating has been removed from the building, ensuring that it is completely powered by renewable electricity systems.
“Our new home is a significant investment in the future of the Society and a major commitment to Leeds in the long term. We’re pleased to be working with GRAHAM on this important project.”